Just Speak’s programs provide the opportunity to develop, implement, and evaluate trauma-informed intervention in a school setting. The results are:
- improved behavior with fewer referrals,
- increased attendance,
- maximized staff and teacher satisfaction,
- higher academic performance and readily available mental health resources for students.
Research shows that trauma-centered programs within schools break the cycle of trauma, fosters connectedness, and promote long-term well-being and resiliency for youth.
Our Executive Director, Brittni Kellom joined Dr. Chris Plum on his EDGURU podcast to share her professional insight on building trauma-informed communities and schools.
Please listen to the interview below:
MOVE™ Grades 5-8
MOVE is our trauma-centered program based in dance to promote resilience physically and increase socioemotional development. Our youth learn a mix of movements, ballet, modern, hip-hop, and African dance.
MOVE is currently in one school location. The dance team is called CORE. CORE members meet four times weekly. The girls learn to improve their social skills, balance their schoolwork, and become disciplined through the art of dance.
To learn more about the MOVE Program or CORE Team, please contact
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com To support the team through donations, please visit their GoFundMe page found here.
outLOUD™ Grades 5-12
outLOUD™ curriculum includes, but is not limited to:
- Trauma-informed training for Administration and all Staff
- Classroom coaching
- 1-on-1 or classroom sensory interventions utilizing TLC Starr™ methods
- Yoga as a mindfulness practice (Yoga Foster™)
- 45 and 60-minute facilitated play-based group sessions
- Holistic wrap-around services for students, including parent workshops and mentors
- Support team progress meetings
- Service learning and exposure field trips
The program is available onsite, customized for 6 weeks, 5 months or an entire 10-month school year. Offerings can be individualized within groups, school-wide or both. Programming takes place at the host school Monday-Friday during school hours, as an after-school initiative or both. Out-of-school engagement is for service learning, field trips, or referrals.
Note: Younger participants only engage in age appropriate discussions.
Designed to develop coping skills and sensory awareness to prevent severe responses to trauma while introducing appropriate touch and body awareness in children.
Based on our foundational outLOUD™ curriculum, HEALTHYplay SAFEtouch™ is customized for younger children with age-appropriate activities, encouraging:
- positive behavior modification
- healthy body image and awareness
- cooperative play
- autonomy and boundaries