Just Speak is an advocacy for healing-centered education that provides crisis support and resiliency programming for children and youth aged 3 to 17 years. Since 2003, Just Speak has held the survivor story as the connector for a network of trained advocates from a variety of disciplines. We believe that prevention, intervention, and awareness building based in play and creative expression leads to healthy socio-emotional skills, and ultimately, to a life of resiliency.
After suffering four years of severe sexual and emotional abuse from her biological father, CEO Brittni Kellom founded Just Speak in 2003 to use her survivor story as a voice for all who have experienced trauma and abuse. Over the years, Just Speak has evolved an organization with programming that includes workshops, training, and public presentations; collaborating with a variety of social and domestic organizations across Southeast Michigan.
Bringing a mix of play and researched interventions alive, Just Speak empowers young people with resiliency skills, building trauma-informed schools and healthier communities.
- We believe that when youth find their own voice they can advocate for themselves and others.
- We believe that youth are agents for positive change in their community.
- We believe that every youth has a right to a safe space.
- We believe that youth can reinvent themselves in the face of trauma in a way that both builds skills and celebrates life.
- We believe that survivors are lighthouses whose stories shatter silence and serve as universal messages of strength.
- We believe in a world where youth can still believe they are magic-makers and superheroes while reshaping who they will become.
OUR FUTURE goals include providing a sustainable model for resiliency skill building that leads to trauma-informed educational systems throughout the country. Working within schools as well as the community, we hope to build a brick and mortar campus that provides a residential school, community resources, and holistic wraparound support that meets the needs of young people who have experienced trauma and abuse and their families.
For a downloadable overview sheet about Just Speak, go to: About Just Speak .